Denise Goldberg's blog

To Newfoundland!
An awesome August adventure

Monday, August 24, 2009

Floating

I woke up to find blue skies decorated with white this morning. The clouds returned, the air stayed dry. It was a good day for driving, and hopefully it will also be a good day for a sea voyage. The engines have just started rumbling, soon to be moving.

My quick drive through Port aux Basques didn't reveal any enticing walkng spots. Off to the ferry... I was early enough to see the MV Joseph and Clara Smallwood arrive in port, spin around, and back into its docking spot. I can't imagine turning something as large as this ship so precisely.

ferry entering port


The ship seemed to enter the port slowly. Maybe that was because of the need to turn and back; we pulled out of port very quickly. I found a home for the voyage, some seats along the side of the ship, daylight streaming through the windows, companions for some conversation.

from the deck of the ferry


As the sun was sinking into the sea, I headed up on deck for a bit. Sitting still, the ship seems to be stable. Standing and walking is another story entirely. There's a definite roll, with deep waves visible on the horizon. Sitting is a good thing.


I'm still sitting on a moving ship. At about quarter to 9 they made an unfortunate announcement. The MV Atlantic Vision is still in port at North Sydney, unloading and reloading. With the Atlantic Vision in port there isn't room for another ship, so our arrival time was changed to midnight. Ouch! I wandered over to see if there was a phone book on board since I left the phone number of tonight's B&B in the car, and the car decks are not accessible when we are moving. I found the phone number, discovered that my cell phone works on one side of the ship and not the other, and was able to contact Colby House to tell them that their late-arriving guest was going to be even later than expected. I feel bad that they are waiting up for me; this situation is totally out of my control – and that's what my hostess said too.

A very late arrival... now I'm doubly glad that I was able to extend my stay at Colby House (back) to two nights. I was originally supposed to be there Sunday and Monday nights. When I canceled Sunday because of the canceled ferry, I was down to one night, but when I called to confirm tonight I asked if they had a room for Tuesday too. Luckily for me they had a cancellation for tomorrow night. Not moving to a new location tomorrow sounds good to me.


Ah, this ship does have Internet access. Posted while floating...

sunset over water



Later, after midnight

Ah... what a nice welcome for a very late arrival. In spite of the fact that I was a good three hours later than expected - much much later than is usually acceptable at a B&B - Gordon & Bev welcomed me to Colby House with a smile and made me feel very welcome. I'm settled in to my very comfortable room, time for some sleep.