Denise Goldberg's blog

To Newfoundland!
An awesome August adventure

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Stepping to the south

A bit of driving, a bit of walking...

The rain started a bit later than expected. It was gray but dry as I headed away from Gros Morne. The visitor information center in Deer Lake provided maps of the Corner Brook area, and conversations with two bikers (of the motorcycle variety for those (bi)cyclists reading this). I crossed paths with the bikers several more times in the day, giving us an opportunity for an interrupted, interesting conversation.

Once I got to Corner Brook I headed down Captain Cook's Trail. The part of the drive that hugged Humber Arm was just a drive without any access to the water, but once the water opened into the Bay of Islands there were more views, and even a few places to stop. Funny, when I passed through York Harbor I could see a car on what appeared to be a dirt road right along the shore. It was a road without a sign; an opening that I missed as I continued to the end of the road in Lark Harbor. I kept an eye out after I reversed direction; luckily the road jumped out at me. Ah, time for a walk along the water, a chance to look at reflections in a lagoon, at clouds lowering, hovering in the hills.

reflections

settling clouds


I ended my day in Corner Brook just as a light rain started. It's raining quite hard now, and there is a rainfall warning and a tropical storm watch in effect.

What ferry will I be on? I just listened to a long detailed recording at Marine Atlantic. My departure time is now set for 4 tomorrow afternoon. All things considered, that's not bad at all. To Nova Scotia!